Sunday, August 9, 2009

GDR- Day 3 Central New Mexico

Day 3 started out clear and warm. We immediatly started climbing which cooled us off quickly. We kept climbing and climbing! We were in a tight forest. I was in a really good mood and started out FLYING!!! The entire day I was just ripping it up and always in the lead. The road had water breaks which I used as jumps and wheelie platforms. I must have popped 100 wheelies in the first 30 miles. As I came sliding around a corner, a full bull Elk jumped out and ran in front of me. He was close enough to smell! He was really big and moving fast. I could not believe I snuck up on him. A few miles later I came across a Cow and her claf. Both spooked in a fury of hooves and dust and the little one looked terrified by the snarling sound of my bike. That is when the ride of "El Coyote" began... "El Coyote" is what I named my bike. Both of us were running at peak performance and eating miles, and shitting dust. Mile after mile we rode like hell itself was closing in on us. My bike was made for the desert and it was in it's element. We would roar through an arroyo and then he would snarl wanting to be unleashed in a rush of gears and spinning tires! Claus and Barry behind we got to eat our dust like it was a favorite pie and they couldn't get enough. Ride, El Coyote, Ride!!!



Sometimes we had to ride around calichi mud holes. Even the smallest hole would stick to your tires like paste and not clean off. It would start to throw huge chunks of mud in all directions while you fought for control. You could not steer or get traction with that mud on your tires. Many times I would let El Coyote extract his vengeance on the mud and blast through at full throttle. But sometimes I would just barely make it.

Here I am digging out my tools to tighten my luggage rack which El Coyote was trying to buck off. The rear rack would be a problem for most of the trip until Idaho...But that is another story...


The entire desert was in bloom. There were forests of these flowers. It is one thing to experience a desert bloom, but it NEVER happens in July! We were so lucky to get mostly dry roads and benefit from the maelstrom of rain that had been falling for weeks in this area.

The arroyos were excellent sources of amusement for El Coyote. We would drop in fast and blast out the other side!



The great landmark of "El Bandito".

Later in the day we hit the town of Cuba and arrived back in the mountains. The desert was over. That was the most mind blowing and fulfilling part of the trip to date. The New Mexico desert is tenacious and stunning. I can't wait to get back.
But then it was the mountains and some real bushwhacking. We had to ride over or around down trees, mud, and Rainbow people. There was a Rainbow "Gathering" along our route so we had to make up a new one. This is the result! SO MUCH FUN!!! Like hard enduro on fully loaded bikes!


One thing I love about adventuring is the people you meet. Here is Jose. he was running cattle at around 10,200 feet. He spent everyday on his "office". What a commute he has!

No comments:

Post a Comment